Spiritual : Does God exist and is religion necessary?

Different people have different approach towards God. Some believe God as the reason for their existence and others doubt the existence of God itself. Iam not a prophet to give a conclusion on this controversial issue, but rather wish to share some insights through my personal experiences.

"It was a day of my practical examinations in Intermediate. The record was not yet corrected. The lecturer asked to bring an hour before the exam and he would do the correction. I started from home and boarded the bus. After reaching half way, I realised that I didn't bring the certification page and some other stuff. I had to go back home and take those things. Neither I was before the exam for correction nor at the right time for the exam atleast. I thought that was the worst day of my life. I was an ardent believer of God from my school days and always appreciated his existence. I was not particular about poojas or other formalities, but I had a deep faith in God. I prayed to him all the way requestsing to save me from this catastrophe. It was my policy not to bother God for small things. I never asked him to make me pass or give some materialistic things. I only requested when something was beyond my control. So, I had faith that he would surely consider my sincere request. But there seems to be no solution to this problem or scope to help me as it was already late for exam.

I went inside the college. My heart was throbbing as I came near the laboratory. When I went inside I was surprised to see that my friends were doing practicals in a relaxed manner. I came to know from them that the actual person who was supposed to come for inspecting the practicals decided to send another person in his place for some reason and this another person coincidentally was a good friend of my lecturer. So, both of them went to canteen to share their wonderful memories of their college days. I had plenty of time to get my record corrected and did my practicals successfully. for everyone else in the world, it might be a "coincidence" or a "matter of luck", but for me it's purely the blessings and mercy of the God. 

This is just one example. I had some similar experiences some more times in life. Whenever I pleaded wholeheartedly and surrendered myself sincerely to God, I was helped or saved by the God. I had a belief system I developed by reading some books right from my childhood and my trust in that belief system always strengthened with every test. Therefore, I became a strong devotee to God, not religious though but spiritually I feel close to God. Iam saved some times from road accidents miraculously, many financial troubles just swept away at the last moment, I receieved co-operation and support almost from everywhere I needed. I don't think that I could do all that just by myself. As a saying goes" dharmo rakshathi rakshithaha". I simply believe in God and good deeds and found them much more powerful than any influence of a politician or officials or any other mortals. I niether had to use my friends or my influence in any case nor I had to fight with anyone for something, except request God in some difficult times to give the courage and strength to handle them."

Recently, I was surprised to find that some of my friends, who were very good people at heart and with lot of humanity and helping nature, did not believe in the existence of God. I was almost shocked. When I asked the reason, they had to say that if God exists why so many poor people are suffering? why there are orphans? why crimes, injustice and inequality prevail? genuine questions of course ! I couldn't take out time to share some awareness with them. However, Iam sure they would realise the truth oneday. God has given us a life and many things. He gave us opportunity to experiment, learn, take challenges and grow. I wonder, if we commit mistakes, if we choose a wrong path, if we hurt, trouble each other  ... what part does the God has to play? Say we give a canvas and lots of color to some children. Either they can help each other and paint beautiful pictures or spoil their picture by misusing their colors, sometimes even spoil the others canvas or even damage the canvas of those who didn'tcome yet. Is it the mistake of the supplier if the canvas are spoiled and the colors are wasted? It is upto us how we utilise the given resources. We create our own problems and do the same for each other. Even if ur parents buy u some play items such as cricket bats and you beat each other or hurt each other badly, are ur parents responsible for that? You were supposed to use them for playing rather than fighting.

One more thing, many people oppose God on the pretext that why some people donate so much money or gold to God? Why do they spend so much money for poojas but help no one. It is the personal interest and biased thinking of those people. God never asked them to do that. Their offerings or rituals have nothing to do with the credibility of God. He never expects anyone to give him anything. Infact, he provided us all these things, who are we and what is our position in front of him to give him something? Its just for one's own satisfaction that they do it. Further God never advocated to pray him or praise him in so and so way, do certain poojas, aarthis or perform yagas or other rituals. People have invented them for their own satisfaction either materialistic or spiritual. God is just the supreme power who created everything and he still guides those who believes in him and needs his help or support.

Its no use to perform poojas or rituals to God and be selfish, cunning or involve in crimes outside. The essence of every religion is Humanity and peace. every religion started teaching men to help each other, be kind and considerate and maintain peace. No God asked people to kill each other. Its only some narrow minded people or some with vested interests that use the name of God for their own benefit. Let us not blame God for the mistakes WE do. Let us not criticize for the problems WE create.  It doesn't matter even if we do not pray a single day in a temple or church or mosque ... it would be enough, if we are a human with kind and passionate hearts and help the people around us and do our duty towards humanity in this world. Those who couldn't realise the existence of God unfortunately are like those who are travelling away from light and blame the shadow getting bigger if they go towards light and rather go away as it becomes small. But when we turn around, only then one can understand that a shadow comes only when there is light and as we approach light shadow becomes bigger, but we come into the brightness of light. In that light we can see the many positive things in this life.

My Idea of True Spirit of Devotion :
1. Our belief in God should not depend on the situation or circumstances.
Whether we are in a good position or bad, we should always believe him in the same way. Remembering in difficult times and forgetting after that is a selfish nature found in many. Let's avoid that.

2. Rituals, offerings, ceremonies are not important, but believing 100% in God at all times is of fore most value in the eyes of God.Having Faith at all times brings you close to the supreme power. I believe even the prayers and other rituals have been started for some reason, but lost the soul down the way. I find lot of solcace and peace when I participate in the prayer on thurdays, but doesn't mean God will only bless us if we pray that way. Its for our self satisfaction. Instead of offering material, its more important to offer our heart and soul to the supreme power.

3. One may not perform the procedures of the religion, but grasp the essence of religion. Live a life with good values and treat others as a good human being. That would be of more value in the eyes of God.

4. Our faith in God should not make us dependent or passive. We can't expect God to do everything for us. We should do our every duty and request God to be with us in our efforts.

5. Our belief shouldn't make us weak
Many people pray to God to remove all the problems from their life. One cannot escape problems, they are everywhere. We need to pray to God to gives us the courage to face the problems and the strength  to solve them. After all, problems are the opportunities for us to take up new challenges and realise the true potential within us.

6. Our faith shouldn't make us hate some other's faith.
This is a major problem today. Many people believe in their religion so blindly and upto such an extreme that they become intolerant of other religions. They fail to recognise that all these religions are various ways to reach the same God. There is no use fighting over which path or road we are travelling, so long as our destination is same. Every religion teachers Humanity and tolerance. Hurting or killing others is againts any religion and inhuman.

7. Names are not important but the essence of religion and the values we cultivate are more important.
I find my God in the name of "Shirdi Sai baba". Everyone is free to choose any form for God or even no form but just as a spirit. It doesn't matter so long as we do not give place to blind faith and meaningless practises on the name of religion. Religion is only a user manual to use the varoius resources of our life properly or a route map to reach the destination safely.

8. God is omnipresent. God is everwhere. If we truly believe in him, we can talk to him not matter where we are. We do not necessarily go to a temple, church or mosque. Infact, he is also within our heart. Every individual has a spark of the divine soul. We just need to recognise it, light it and keep the flame of faith glowing inside us, such that it shows us the right direction in every situation and leads us ahead.

To put in simple words, believing always in God and his abundance, thanking him for everything, making good use of the available resources and accepting every situation in life without regret, helping fellow human beings within our limits and leading a peaceful and responsible life are the true tenents of any religion and the real commandements of God !
7 Responses
  1. Hello friends,

    This is an effort to share our views on this universal topic about God, religion and practices. I tried to convey my understanding of God and religion in actual terms. Those are based on the knowledge I gained from some books, listening to some great speakers etc. I believe them to be true to the best of my knowledge and these thoughts have always helped me to keep myself happy and peaceful.

    In case if you disagree on some point, you are most welcome to share ur views in a constructive method. Thanks in advance ...


  2. hi sir..i think this topic is related to my life too...

    first...i dont believe in god..
    there is a flashback for that...

    i believe in god since my childhood..i m a big fan of hanuman.. even i learned sloka's, hanuman chalisa, poems..etc..

    i did my intermediate in vijayawada..and i used to visit kanakadurga temple for almost every outing..for good EAMCET/AIEEE rank..
    i dint got good rank as expected..u may say that my capability is only that much..and for that i should not blame on god.
    but what i found from past was believe in myself given good results rather than god..
    from that day,i dont believe in god n i m quite happy with what i m now..i dont hav any problems n i didnt find any difference in my life weather i believe/not in god..


  3. Hi Pawan, I can understand that people perceive God from their own point of view. However, if u refer the points 1,4,5 that I mentioned under "My Idea of True Devotion" in this post itself, you will note the relevance. We are not supposed to pray to God or visit some place with expectation of material gains.

    Belief in God should be independent. It should exist even if we do not get what we expect out of life. Moreover, belief in God shouldn't make us inactive or dependent. May be you realised ur real potential after moving away from God, as u thought that ur alone now and worked more harder. When u were with God, u had confidence on him and might not have did the best ! Whatever might be ur case, but I sincerely suggest everyone to believe in God and accept him with trust and pure heart. Give ur devotion but expect nothing in return. That's my policy ... and eventually u would receive everything u deserve !

    God may not give us whatever we ask for, but he gives us what we really need and deserve ! We just need to have that uncompromising faith at all times ...


  4. gopi Says:

    Hi Manikanth garu,

    I Believe in GOD

    Even naa life lo kuda chala insidents jarigayi like nenu intermediate lo unnappudu oka subject average ga raasanu,naaku telusu nenu adi fail avutaanani but nenu exam finish ina daggarnunchi nenu aa subject pass avvali ani baba ki mokkukunnanu,finally nenu aa subject pass ayyanu.ee situation ni some may say it's a matter of luck.but naaku matram adi aa time lo saibaba blessings ani feel ayyanu.
    ee situation lo i don't say that 'i believe on god so he passed me'.because nenu exam lo naa trail nenu chesanu but nenu fail avutanu anipinchindi but devudu naakoka chance ichadu eesari baaga chadivi exam baaga rayamani,same time nenu attempt cheyakunda pass cheyamante jarugutunda?.
    so i pray god to give strength when i am feel lazy,and i ask god to give me strength to fase difficult&challenging situations.

    So i believe that mana prayatnam lekunda devuni meeda bharam veyakudadu.

    And i believe that god is there with me.because naa life lo enno bad situations & financial troubles fase chesanu unfortunately anni problems nunchi kuda edo oka lesson nerchukunna tarvata last moment lo naa prblems solve avutunnai.

    Here i want to say one thing,yevaru ye devudinaina pugincha vochu.but don't for get to help the poor.

    there is a interesting question in this topic(Recently, I was surprised to find that some of my friends, who were very good people at heart and with lot of humanity and helping nature, did not believe in the existence of God.When I asked the reason, they had to say that if God exists why so many poor people are suffering? why there are orphans? why crimes, injustice and inequality prevail?)

    ANSWER-(God has given us a life and many things. He gave us opportunity to experiment, learn, take challenges and grow.I wonder, if we commit mistakes, if we choose a wrong path, if we hurt, trouble each other ... what part does the God has to play? Say we give a canvas and lots of color to some children. Either they can help each other and paint beautiful pictures or spoil their picture by misusing their colors, sometimes even spoil the others canvas or even damage the canvas of those who didn'tcome yet. Is it the mistake of the supplier if the canvas are spoiled and the colors are wasted? It is upto us how we utilise the given resources. We create our own problems and do the same for each other. Even if ur parents buy u some play items such as cricket bats and you beat each other or hurt each other badly, are ur parents responsible for that? You were supposed to use them for playing rather than fighting.)
    Chaala baaga chepparu manikanth garu.

    GOOD WORK,KEEP GOING.


  5. Hello Gopi garu,
    So good to see ur comments. Iam glad that you are also a firm believer of God. Majority of people realise about God at one stage or other in their life. Some realise finally at their death bed. But those who could realise him and his mercy are very fortunate. The sooner one realises, the more time he has for walking in his path and lead a true, pious, divine and worthwhile life. Thanks a lot for ur support and for sharing ur experience, taking time to write detailed comments ...

    Hope this topic would help people to get an understanding of God, faith and religion and dispel some wrong beliefs or misunderstandings.


  6. Unknown Says:

    hello manikanth,
    Malli sooper blogg... Being born poor is not our mistake,but dying poor is our mistake!! dis is ans to those who say y der is so much poverty wn God exists!! i strongly belive dat God or u may say superpower does exits..!
    we simply cant sit idle n say God wil take care of everything!! n its foolishness also..mana pani manam wholehearted ga chestoo vellipovali and shud pray for His blessings..:)
    waiting for ur next blogg!!


  7. @Lakshmi
    Thank you for ur support and encouragement. Glad to see ur inputs on this topic. I would publish a new toic today or 2moro. Thanks once again.


    Manikanth P.

    Hyderabad, Andhrapradesh, India
       Catch me also on :
           on FACE BOOK   on TWITTER   on ORKUT   ARROW Blog   On PICASA WEB

    My Supporters :